Monday, March 2, 2009

I was in tears when a poem was read during the 2-28 rally in Taipei.




A post published in this blog a few days ago, I described to you that 1000 people sat for nearly 2 hours at the Freedom Square to commemorate 62 anniversary of the 2-28 incidence. During this two hour, we had breathing exercise. We also read poems. When the following poem (written by Su Jen-Ming, 蘇振明) was read, I was in tears. I translate the poem as follows:

子孫若問起 (When my grandson asked me,)

咱仔阿公是到位去? (Where was grand-pa ?)

過去攏騙孫”阿公死在南洋作生利” (In the past, I lied. I said, "Grand-pa died in the South East Asia doing business.")

也會罵孫仔”囝仔郎有耳無嘴,惦惦卡抹出代誌” (Sometimes, I even complained, "Kids only listen, never talk.")
阿嬤今仔日照實講 (Today, grand-ma tells you the truth:)
阿公死在228的槍子 (Your grand-pa was killed by a bullet of 2-28. )
但是,咱仔阿公並無做歹代誌 (But, he did not do any bad thing.)
學生若問起 (If a student asked,)
228到底是什麼日子? (What is the day of 2-28 ?)
過去瞞騙學生”228只是一個普通的假日” (In the past, I lied, "2-28 is just an ordinary holiday,")
這個問題不比是數學或是物理 ("This question is nothing more important than those of mathematics and physics, ")
無需要「打破沙鍋問到底」("You do not need to get to the bottom of the answer by all means.")
老師今日要照實給你講 (Today, I am going to tell you the truth.)
228是台灣人被外來統治者屠殺受難的紀念日 ("2-28 is the day of remembrance when the Taiwanese was massacred by a foreign colonial power.")
為什麼屠殺? (Why did they kill us?)
因為統治者想要確保統治權 (Because they want to maintain their colonial privilege in Taiwan.)
那誰人是兇手?誰人是「壞東西」? (Then who are the murderers? And who are the bad guys?)
這個好問題 (That is a good question.)
老師願意陪你繼續調查下去 (I will work with you to search for the truth.)
若有人問起你 (If someone ask you)
[紀念228」目的是為什麼? ("What is the purpose of commemorating 2-28?")
咱就愛大聲講: (We shall loudly proclaim,)
1947年的228屠殺 是政黨暴力欺壓善良百姓的事件 ("The massacre of 2-28 in 1947 was an institutional violence sanctioned by Kuo-Ming-Tah against ordinary citizens.")
這個事件是違反國際人權的公案 (The killing was in violation international human right.)
阮佇在靜坐 佇在祈禱 (We sit and pray here.)
阮愛知影真相 阮也愛知影元兇 (We want the truth and want to know who were the war criminals behind.)
阮要求加害者道歉 (We demand apology from the institution, the Kuo-Ming-Tan.)
阮主張人權治國 (We demand that our nation is governed by the human right principles.)
阮希望台灣永遠脫離暴力甲怨恨 (We want Taiwan to be free of violence and hatred forever.)

(阮也希望 台灣正做一個尊重民主、自由的新國家 (We also want Taiwan to be a new nation that respect democracy and freedom.)

Photo shows a scan of part of the poem.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

two comments.
1. where is Sue Jen Ming's photo?
2. when the student asked, you 'lied' how did you lie?